Wednesday, January 14, 2009

journal 71 jan 14th 09

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.  No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
*Elbert Hubbard


No matter what technology arises, it cannnot do the things man can accomplish.  It only can do what we program it to do.  Until actual Artificial Intelligence is created (or born?), machines are just what we want them to be.

I agree wholeheartedly with this quote.  No matter how much I want machines to create ideas for me, they can't.  They only do what i tell them to.  I could wish all day for a computer to write my next essay, but unless I tell it the information I want it to be about, it will sit there with a blank screen.

In the banking industry, we have software that ties into all the accounts for my bank.  I can see account from Albuquerque and Hobbs as well as Carlsbad.   But if i don't tell the software that I want to cash a check on an account it won't do anything.  Also, if we lose power or our network, we have to do everything by hand.  A machine can't work without power, and without a network we can't access information from the software database.  So that's where the good ol' pen and paper comes to play until we get things back up and running.  

On the artist side of me, I can create much better drawings using a pencil that a computer could.  They may be more pricise, but the beauty in art is all the flaws and perfections of the individual artist.  I once heard and one of the mid-evil times artists showed what a great artist he was by drawing a perfect circle.  


No comments:

Post a Comment